Monday, July 5, 2010

Introduction/Week 1

Well, this is my first blog ever! I recently started taking classes at Mount Saint Mary in Summer I. I have an undergraduate degree from SUNY New Paltz in Accounting. I worked in the financial field for the last 13 years. Late last summe r I decided to pursue a career in teaching at the elementary school level. After some planning and a few undergrad courses to fulfill my liberal arts requirement, here I am!
I took Intro to Special Ed in Summer I and loved it. Now, here I am in Summer II taking Nature of Education with Dr. Smirnova.
Some of the readings in week 1 were very disturbing. Our society places way too much on outputs and not enough on inputs. We certainly need a way to measure how students are doing, but does that have to be the only factor? Teachers are under more and more pressure to have all students do better and better on tests and as a result teach only the topics on the tests. There is less time for creativity and independent thinking. I am a believer in having children take an active participation in learning activities. I think that this can lead to greater retention and higher level thinking. I believe that all children are individuals and learn differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment