As I have said before, this is only my second education course as I pursue my dream of becoming an educator. I feel that this course has most certainly given me a fantastic foundation to build upon. This course taught me to look at the bigger picture as well as to the individual students. The topics covered all tied in together very nicely at the end of the course.
I have become much more informed about the history of the education system both through the readings and the videos. How amazing to think that our system was created for the Industrial Revolution and not much has changed since then. While subjects like math and science are certainly very important, why do we not place more emphasis on the arts? Students need to be able to problem solve and think out of the box. Today's employers do not want employees to simply "check the box" that the task is completed. Students will be constantly challenged in the workforce to come up with better and brighter ideas. We need to teach our children to be creative!
Week 2 brought to light the educational theories. The constructivist theory by far interested me the most because that is how I learn. Building knowledge and meaning through experience is very powerful for me and I know it will stay with me as I begin my career in the classroom. This week really drove home for me that students need to be engaged and made a part of the learning experience.
Week 3 was very enlightening for me to learn in detail about the different types of schools that are valid options today. Students must continue to have choices to succeed. An alternate school for some students can make all the difference in the world. We also looked at change, reform, and innovations during this week. I looked up the definitions of each and one word sums up all 3 definitions to me. That word is courage. It takes courage to be different, to improve, and to introduce something new.
Week 4 objectives were all about technology. Let me just say that I have come a long way since the beginning of this course. I can't believe that I created my own website! It is imperative that we teach our students as much about technology as possible. I can imagine how intimidated a teacher can be if they have not had much experience. We must take away that fear through training and education. Our children's futures depend on it!
I take away from this course a feeling of accomplishment and a tremendous sense of hope. Just think of the difference we can all make with a little courage, an open mind, plenty of knowledge, and a healthy amount of enthusiasm.
I will leave everyone with words of wisdom from the great Dr. Seuss:
Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!
Claudine ,
ReplyDeleteI like your title, children are the future, so if we are going to make a big investment in there education, we need to as educators make sure we are giving them the right pathway to a successful future.
Love the Dr. Seuss quotes :-)
ReplyDelete